Welcome to the fortnightly Digital Digest which brings you the latest WWE digital news and more, in one handy place.
– One of the big releases from this fortnight is WWE’s Best of WCW Clash of the Champions which was released digitally across three volumes, each representing a disc from the DVD. Each available to rent at $3.99(SD) & $4.99(HD) and to buy at $13.99 (SD) & $15.99 (HD). Unfortunately even with price adjustments, after buying 3 volumes at $13.99 each, it works out almost twice the price of the DVD! It’s available on Vudu.com, Xbox Live, Playstation Store and Cinemanow. There are 7 matches in Volume 1, eight matches in Volume 2, and nine matches in Volume 3.
– The other big WWE release of this fortnight is Extreme Rules 2012, and each match from the event is available to download for $1.99 (SD) & $2.99 (HD), or with a season price of $14.99(SD) & $17.99(HD). Extreme Rules 2012 is available on iTunes and Playstation Store. We’ll let you decide whether or not Ryback vs. 2 jobbers is worth $2.
– Suburban Commando starring Hulk Hogan and the Undertaker is now available to rent and buy in SD on Vudu.com and iTunes.
– Vudu.com is also offering a “Main Event Match Up” which features the John Cena Experience and all three volumes of The Rock “Most Electrifying Man in Sports Entertainment” fr $19.99. Although the image shows The Epic Journey of Dwayne Johnson, it’s not that title.
– Vudu.com is also offering a digital bundle of the “WrestleMania Collection” which features Wrestlemania 1 through 15, priced at $69.99 (over 50% less than buying them alone).
– The Rock’s new movie “Journey 2: The Mysterious Island” is now available to buy and rent on most digital platforms such as iTunes and Vudu.com.
– WWE Greatest Matches has updated with some new videos for June including many Jimmy Snuka & Ricky “The Dragon” Steamboat matches.
– Vudu.com also confirmed that upcoming the “ECW Unreleased” feature will be made available as a digital download from June 5th and will be spread across 3 volumes. It will be available in in SD, HD and HDX formats. The run time is stated to be 121mins for one of the volumes.
– Also being made available as a digital download on June 5th to rent and buy is the re-released 2006 DVD; ECW Extreme Rules. This re-release is spread across 2 volumes and is only available in SD. The synopsis for the second volume reads “ECW: Extreme Rules Volume 2 collects nine jaw-dropping matches that marked the return of hardcore to the squared circle”.
– WWE: Best of RAW & Smackdown 2011 is now available to rent and buy on Vudu.com.
– WWE Classics On Demand has been updated with some new videos including more original ECW footage, WCW Bash at the Beach 2000, Andre the Giant, Greatest Cage Matches, Survivor Series 2011, and many more. It will be updated from June 1st with all new videos based around their “WCW theme” which includes classic Ric Flair matches, World War 3 1997, Wrestle War 1991, plus other WCW matches featuring Mick Foley, Steve Austin, Eddie Guerrero and others. July’s theme will be International Month of Mystery.
– TNA Impact Wrestling has continued to add new videos to their YouTube Rental channel including PPV’s from 2010 and 2011 as well as some ‘best of’ videos. All of which are also available on TNAondemand.com which can also be seen on the Roku streaming service. TNA continue to promote their videos on the different digital platforms across their website.
– WWNLive.com has made Full Impact Pro Declarations – The Best of CM Punk Vol. 1 available to view ondemand for $9.99 which features:
* CM Punk vs. Vordell Walker (First Round – FIP Heavyweight Title Tournament- Emergence Night 1 – Tampa, FL – 9.24.04)
* Highlights – AJ Styles vs. Homicide (First Round – FIP Heavyweight Title Tournament- Emergence Night 1 – Tampa, FL – 9.24.04)
* Homicide vs. Joshua Masters w/ CM Punk (Second Round – FIP Heavyweight Title Tournament- Emergence Night 2 – Tampa, FL – 9.25.04)
* CM Punk vs. Justin Credible (Second Round – FIP Heavyweight Title Tournament- Emergence Night 2 – Tampa, FL – 9.25.04)
* CM Punk vs. Rainman (Semi-Final Round – FIP Heavyweight Title Tournament- Emergence Night 2 – Tampa, FL – 9.25.04)
* CM Punk vs. Homicide (Finals – FIP Heavyweight Title Tournament- Emergence Night 2 – Tampa, FL – 9.25.04)
* Highlights – Azrieal w/ CM Punk vs. Rainman (Fallout Night 1 – Tampa, FL – 11.12.04)
* CM Punk vs. Dan Maff (No Count Out – No Disqualification Match- Fallout Night 1 – Tampa, FL – 11.12.04)
* Homicide vs. CM Punk (FIP Heavyweight Title Match – No Diqualification Falls Count Anywhere- Fallout Night 2 – Tampa, FL – 11.13.04)
* Highlights – The Florida Rumble (Florida Rumble – Lakeland, FL – 12.17.04)
* CM Punk vs. James Gibson (Florida Rumble – Lakeland, FL – 12.17.04
Top 5 Downloads
1) Brock Lesnar vs John Cena – Extreme Rules 2012
This match has got to be number one of this edition, if not in the top 5 of this year. This match was simply fantastic as Brock Lesnar returned to the WWE after 8 years and took the poster boy Cena to a whole new level in a physically brutal encounter that is a must download. While it was shocking to see John Cena walk out victorious, Brock still looked strong in defeat as he completely dominated John Cena by using a different style than what we are used to, utilizing his UFC move set. Certainly a highly recommendation and worth the $2.
2) Best of WCW Clash of the Champions – Volume 1
This collection of classic WCW matches is hosted by Dusty Rhodes and each disc is spread across 3 volumes. In the modern era of PPV’s, the idea that each of these Supershows aired on television is strange but then the NWA always took a slightly different approach to the WWE. The first volume looks back on some of the earlier matches from the late 80’s in the NWA and really showcases some fantastic matches involving Sting, Ric Flair and other members of the 4 Horsemen. Dusty Rhodes adds a few comments here and there throughout each volume but I would have really enjoyed hearing more stories and possibly a short documentary to explain the whole Clash of Champions decade run.
3) Best of WCW Clash of the Champions – Volume 2
I wouldn’t recommend people spend the extra money on the HD versions since the matches weren’t filmed that way, but I suspect there are many WCW fans who haven’t seen some of the matches from these earlier WCW shows. Volume 2 somewhat covers a time where WCW was struggling but you’re able to watch classic Steve Austin and Steven Regal matches. The WWE really seem to getting the idea of promoting WCW in a positive light to cash in on the nostalgia and back catalogue. If you get these then you do so for a selection of matches, no for a back story.
4) Best of WCW Clash of the Champions – Volume 3
If you only caught up with WCW during the whole Nitro and New World Order era, this volume offers a more modern style of wrestling with many well known names such as Eddie Guerrero, DDP, Chris Jericho, Big Show, and the mega stars of that era like Hulk Hogan and Randy Savage. Aside from the name value of everybody involved, I really enjoyed watching the cruiserweight matches once again. Don’t forget if you plan on renting all three volumes, it’s worth just spending a few more dollars to buy the DVD. When it pops up on Netflix at some point, I seriously recommend checking these videos out.
5) 2 Out of 3 Falls: Sheamus vs Daniel Bryan – Extreme Rules 2012
We get a good solid 20 minute contest between two fantastic superstars, with both really putting on a showcase to rid of the bad taste from the Mania squash. Daniel Bryan still looked strong in defeat and even Sheamus pulls out one of his finest performances as they tell a story. It’s a shame they didn’t get to do something like this on the grandest stage as it could have been a classic. Once again, you can’t argue with a $2 price tag.
Top 3 WWEGreatestMatches.com
1) Stone Cold Steve Austin vs. The Undertaker Summerslam 1998
The Attitude era was in full steam with WWE behind the red hot Steve Austin, whilst Undertaker had a darker, more modern persona. Along with the continuing storyline of Vince McMahon trying everything to get the title off of the Rattlesnake. This match is a bit of a forgotten gem with both guys playing it out perfectly as Austin continues to be pushed to the moon and in the process earns the Undertaker’s respect. Certainly one to revisit. Watch.
2) Jimmy Snuka vs. Macho King SNME – 1989
While many remember Jimmy Snuka for his Superfly frog splash or getting nailed with a Coconut by the Hot Rod, this match from Saturday Night’s Main Event sees him in action against the late great Macho King Randy Savage. It’s aa entertaining 5 minute contest which I thought was a strong outing from Macho King in the process of getting his new gimmick over. Watch
3) Christian vs. Booker T – Insurrextion 2003
Christian is spotlighted with some of his bestt matches being made available free on GM. Notable bouts include the Ladder match from Extreme Rules where he won the title, and the classic ladder match with Edge against the Hardy Boyz at No Mercy 1999. Jumping back to the days of the UK PPV Insurrextion, the then Intercontinental champion (9 years later and the belt is back on him!) faced off against Booker T. This is a solid performance and very enjoyable. It’s a shame he seems to have been demoted back after such a impressive summer last year. Watch
Comment below or tweet @PWondemand with your thoughts on the news or top picks.