Welcome to the another WWEDVDNews Digital Digest!
Here we go with the latest WWE digital news, plus my personal top 3 download picks, and top 3 streaming videos via WWE Greatest Matches and TNAondemand.
– The biggest digital release from WWE in the last fortnight is the 2012 Elimination Chamber featuring 5 matches, including 2 world title Elimination Chamber matches and Kane vs John Cena in an Ambulance Match. Each match is priced at $1.99 (SD) & $2.99 (HD), while the whole show is selling for $9.95 (SD) & $14.95(HD). It’s available to download on ITunes, Vudu, Zune and Playstation.
– WWE has added The Rock’s concert from Monday’s RAW Supershow for download on iTunes. The song was set to the tune of Elvis Presley’s “Jailhouse Rock”.
– WWE Greatest Matches changed into a free service just a couple of weeks ago and in April there will be lots of 2012 WWE Hall of Fame themed matches, including inductees Edge and the Four Horsemen.
– For our Australian readers, the documentary from The Epic Journey of Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson is now available on iTunes.
– WWE Classics On Demand has been updated with some new videos including new TV shows, plus videos on Hall of Famer Shawn Michaels, and Wrestlemania 27.
– Big Show: A Giant World has been relisted on Netflix for streaming and will be available until September 2013. In other new wrestling related videos, there’s Paradise Alley starring Sylvester Stallone (features Terry Funk, Haku, Ted Dibiase and many others), and Big Money Rustlas was also added recently which features the Insane Clown Posse and Sabu.
– In some Ring of Honor news, they have a new special offer for their own On Demand video service. Until April 8th new subscribers can get a free DVD.
– If you have never seen a DGUSA show, be sure to check out the live PPV that will broadcast live on March 30th for the bargain price of just $1.99.
– For UK readers, while ‘on demand’ wrestling coverage is poor where you are, there are a few wrestling related videos available through HMVondemand.com including some Steve Austin movies like Tactical Force and Trish Stratus’ Bounty Hunters. UK’s own streaming services like Lovefilm and the recently launched Netflix contain very little of interest but they do feature a few movies featuring WWE stars like the Condemned, The Expendables, and The Wrestler.
Top 3 Downloads
1) WWE Championship: Elimination Chamber: CM Punk vs. Chris Jericho vs. Miz Vs R-truth vs. Kofi Kingston vs. Dolph Ziggler
Many had expected Chris Jericho to walk out as the new WWE champion to help set up Punk chasing Jericho to Wrestlemania but thankfully they decided to keep the belt on the Straight Edge Superstar. I feel the WWE title needs to stick on somebody for more than a single PPV. As such they had to protect their Wrestlemania match and having Jericho eliminated from the chamber due to injury meant he didn’t lose any momentum, whilst giving him some ammunition to fire back at the champ. The actual match is very enjoyable and a great Chamber match with Kofi Kingston once again proving to be a major force if given the opportunity. Unfortunately this felt like nothing but a staling match to set up Wrestlemania but it’s still a excellent match with lots of big high impact moves that we expect from a Chamber match. Even with a questionable finis it’s still the best match of the entire show.
2) World Heavyweight Championship: Elimination Chamber: Daniel Bryan vs. Wade Barrett vs. Great Khali vs. Santino Vs Big Show vs. Cody Rhodes
One of the biggest problems with the Smackdown Chamber match was the lack of star power but Santino really grabbed the opportunity by standing out and being that believable champion. Perhaps if he tweaks his character a little, he could make a main event baby face for Smackdown while they are short. The fans really got behind him. Anyway this match isn’t as good as the earlier Chamber, and Khali was completely useless. Christian, Mark Henry or Alberto Del Rio would have been better suited to grab an unknown entry spot. There is a cool moment when Big Show smashes his way into the pod to get his hands on Daniel Bryan. I liked how they had Cody and Barrett work together to eliminate Show. Following the match we got to see who the Royal Rumble winner, Sheamus would decide to face at Wrestlemania, the perfect way to start the hype to their match.
3) Recoil – Stone Cold Steve Austin returns to the small screen in his latest action movie where Austin plays the revenge filled cop who decides to take on a criminal biker gang who are terrorising a small town (if they replaced the motorbikes with horses, you could almost think this is a classic Western). This is your typical low budget Action B Movie with Austin playing his usual strong silent type who goes through the guy one by one until he finally goes one on one with the boss (the ever evil looking Danny Trejo). This is one of Austin’s better films as it plays to his strengths and hides his weaknesses, so if you like your action flicks to be predictable and straight forward then you can’t go wrong with this one as it is exactly what it says on the tin.
Top 3 WWE Greatest Matches
With Wrestlemania taking place next weekend, I had to bring you 3 classic Undertaker Wrestlemania streak matches that are available on WWE Greatest Matches and best of all, they are all free.
1) Wrestlemania 21 – Undertaker vs Randy Orton – – At Wrestlemania 21 in Los Angeles, the Deadman faced a new challenge from the Legend Killer Randy Orton who had made a name for himself by taking out one legend after another. So could he be the one to break the streak? No…but it’s fun watching a real threat to that streak and a young Randy Orton in action. Watch it
2) Wrestlemania 25 – Undertaker vs Shawn Michaels – I originally had thought that maybe Kane vs Undertaker from Wrestlemania 14 deserved to be in this spot, but still think this match from the 25th Mania is hard to top, the ideal way to get warmed up for HBK stepping back into the ring as the special guest referee in Miami. This is a amazing match which raised the bar on what we expected out of both Mr Wrestlemania and the Deadman. Watch it
3) Wrestlemania 26- Undertaker vs Shawn Michaels – Turning back the clock just two years to perhaps the Undertaker’s biggest challenge as he once again takes on Mr Wrestlemania Shawn Michaels, but this time not only is the streak on the line, but so is Shawn Michaels’ career. This is a fantastic match and a Wrestlemania classic, with both of these amazing stars showing the world that they can still. Nothing better than going out at the top and against one of the best ever. Watch it
Top 3 TNAondemand.com
1) Best of Samoa Joe – One of the big perks of TNAondemand.com is the chance to go back and watch some older TNA footage, so why not check out the Best of Samoa Joe which is truly one of the best home videos TNA ever produced because of the quality of each match included. There is little doubt that if you’re a Samoa Joe fan you will be very happy with what your seeing as this is classic 2005 Joe.
2) Victory Road 2011 – Jeff Hardy vs Sting – Sting might not have won the TNA championship at Victory Road, but in this video from 2011 he does walk out the world champion, all be it in very controversial fashion. Sting has to clean up the mess that is Jeff Hardy who was in no fit state to perform. This isn’t a wrestling classic and probably one of the worst main events in TNA history, but it’s a bit like a car crash, you can’t help but stare.
3) Instant Classic – If you never saw any matches from Christian’s run in TNA during 2006/7, be sure to check out his “Best of” video which features some great matches against Kurt Angle, Rhino, Samoa Joe, Abyss and Sting. Not only did Christian head voluntarily to TNA, but he upped his game and was able to step out of Edge’s shadow and be his own man. While this one doesn’t have a documentary, its still a decent collection of matches.
Got a digital news tip for the next column? Tweet me anytime via @PWondemand.
So, how are you finding the redesigned (and now free) WWE Greatest Matches service? Leave your comments below!