30 years (to the day!) since SummerSlam was taped at the fabled Wembley Stadium in London, England, fans in the UK will be able to rush out and pick up a copy of SummerSlam 1992 and relive “the SummerSlam you thought you’d never see”, remastered for the first time on Blu-ray and DVD!
In the weeks since the announcement there has been much speculation regarding the title’s content (outside of the event itself). The inclusion of the three dark matches, which were taped but not part of the PPV broadcast, was confirmed. Of course, those matches did air on WWE TV in the following weeks, but were not released on the VHS in the US. In Europe, they were included on the VHS.
The new SummerSlam ’92 DVD will include those dark matches and a 17-minute version of the 30-minute PPV Countdown show to the event (it should be noted, these shows often included repeated packages and PPV ordering info, which may account for the reduced runtime). The Countdown shows aired prior to the PPV as a way to hype the show, much akin to the current day “Kickoff” shows as a way to hype the show and provide backstory to the matches.
Interestingly, the SummerSlam 1992 countdown is one which has never found its way online in the 30 years since its initial airing – unlike so many of the others which did surface – so this one will be seen for the first time in a long time!
EDIT: The SummerSlam countdown show was planned to be a Blu-ray exclusive, as we originally had written here, but has now been squeezed into the DVD extras too!
WrestlingDVDNetwork.com has also learned that the initial pressing of the DVDs will feature a rather snazzy orange coloured case. This is likely to only ever be found on the first copies Fremantle produce, so if you’d like to secure yours, you’ll need to pre-order or pickup your copy early.
The Blu-ray edition will include even more bonus footage!
In addition to the dark matches and the countdown show, the Blu-ray will feature three episodes of Superstars that aired during the build to SummerSlam – the August 15th, 22nd and 29th episodes. So that’s tons of bonus interviews, promos and more content featuring stars of the era.
On both Blu-ray and DVD there will also be a special playback option featured which will mean you can watch the show as it aired on PPV or you can witness the event as the 80,355 people in attendance did — this being with the three dark matches inserted back into the event at the points where they were actually taped (the Tito Santana vs. Papa Shango and six-man tag prior to the opening contest, and the Tatanka vs. Berzerker match prior to the main event).
SUMMERSLAM ’92 CONTENT LISTING
The Hottest Event of the Summer
Money Inc. vs. The Legion of Doom
The Perfect Cornerman
Virgil vs. Nailz
The Pursuit of Perfection
A Sensational Prediction
Shawn Michaels vs. Rick Martel
WWE Tag Team Championship Match
The Natural Disasters vs. The Beverly Brothers
Repo Man vs. Crush
WWE Championship Match
Ultimate Warrior vs. “Macho Man” Randy Savage
The Perfect Pairing
The Undertaker vs. Kamala
The Dog in the Fight
An Excellent Retort
WWE Intercontinental Championship Match
Bret “Hit Man” Hart vs. “The British Bulldog” Davey Boy Smith
Main show runtime (approx.): 2 hours and 45 minutes
SummerSlam 1992 Dark Matches
– “Hacksaw” Jim Duggan & The Bushwhackers vs. The Mountie & The Nasty Boys
– Papa Shango vs. “El Matador” Tito Santana
– Tatanka vs. The Berzerker
– SummerSlam 1992 Countdown Show
– “Live” & “Broadcast” playback options
Extras runtime (approx.): 46 minutes
WWE Superstars • August 15, 1992
– Skinner vs. Big Boss Man
– Joe Steel vs. Kamala
– Event Center with Repo Man & Undertaker
– Undertaker vs. Chris Duffy
– Macho Man discusses Mr. Perfect & SummerSlam
– McNeavey & Seavey vs. Money Inc.
– Event Center with Virgil, Berzerker & Tatanka
– Mean Gene Okerlund’s SummerSlam report
– Jim Powers vs. Razor Ramon
– Event Center with Crush & Money Inc.
WWE Superstars • August 22, 1992
– Who’s corner is Mr. Perfect in?
– Beverly Bros. & Repo Man vs. Bushwhackers & ‘Hacksaw’ Jim Duggan
– An update on Macho Man & Ultimate Warrior
– Scott Taylor vs. Papa Shango
– Event Center with Money Inc. & Legion of Doom
– Crush vs. Jeff Daniels
– Event Center with The Beverly Bros. & The Natural Disasters
– Razor Ramon vs. Tony Roi
– Bruce Hart discusses Hitman vs. Bulldog
– Bret Hart vs. Richie Rich
– SummerSlam report with Bulldog & Undertaker
– John Armstrong vs. Nailz
– Event Center with Bret Hart
– Nasty Boys discuss facing Macho Man & Ultimate Warrior
WWE Superstars • August 29, 1992
– SummerSlam Spectacular Recap
– Ric Flair vs. Joey Maggs
– Ultimate Warrior discusses facing Macho Man
– Macho Man responds to the Ultimate Warrior
– Pat Rose vs. Tatanka
– Event Center with Rick Martel & Crush
– Kamala vs. Jeff Daniels
– Event Center with Nailz, Virgil & Money Inc.
– Snap into a Slim Jim
– Bret Hart vs. Louie Spicolli
– SummerSlam Report with Undertaker & Legion of Doom
– Justin Taylor vs. Rick Martel
– Event Center with Repo Man & Natural Disasters
Blu-ray exclusives runtime (approx.): 2 hours and 17 minutes
The SummerSlam 1992 – 30th Anniversary Edition will be released to fans in the UK on Monday August 29th (30 years to the day the event took place), while Germany gets it later that same week on the Friday, September 2nd. That week is also significant because WWE’s Clash at the Castle stadium show will be held in the UK on the Saturday.