Let’s take a look at all of the digital wrestling news and goings-on from the month of September.
– The top story was WWE streaming on Hulu Plus. A free trial is available over here.
“The WWE Universe can enjoy unlimited and instant streaming of WWE’s popular weekly programs anywhere, anytime — thanks to Hulu Plus.
Visit WWEonHulu.com for a free trial, and unlock next-day access to current episodes of Monday Night Raw, SmackDown, “WWE Superstars” and WWE NXT, as well as upcoming episodes of WWE Main Event, which debuts on ION Television Wednesday, Oct. 3.
Hulu Plus subscribers can also go to Hulu Latino to see WWE’s popular digital show, WWE En Español, the Spanish-language magazine program that recaps WWE’s most exciting moments each week.
Subscribers can access content at home or on-the-go across mobile phones, tablets, PCs, internet-connected TVs, set-top boxes and gaming consoles.
Hulu Plus provides optimum video quality, with streams in SD and HD, and offers subscribers access to current hit TV shows, award-winning movies, classic TV series and beyond for $7.99 per month. For your free trial, click here“.
– There was a short term major price drop on older WWE titles on iTunes such as 2010 PPVs (Survivor Series, Summerslam, Bragging Rights, etc.) and some from 2011 (Extreme Rules, Wrestlemania 27, Elimination Chamber, MITB, etc.). The whole event was priced at just $5.99 in SD, with no effect on the price of each match individually (only full season). Also, many older documentaries had been reduced in price to just $4.99 including Greatest Rivalries, Evolution of a Predator, The Life of a Masked Man, True Story of Wrestlemania, Rise and Fall of WCW and others. Though this offer only ran for a short period, it could be a sign that the WWE may reduce prices of older titles in the near future. Look out for that.
– WWE released Summerslam 2012 as a digital download which, as you know, featured Triple H vs. Brock Lesnar, and CM Punk vs John Cena for the title.
Blurb: The Perfect Storm engulfs Los Angeles on the historic 25th Anniversary of SummerSlam. The wrecking ball force of Brock Lesnar meets the blind rage of a vengeful Triple H as two larger-than life gladiators collide for the first-time ever! Plus, CM Punk seeks validation for his status atop the WWE in a Triple Threat title defense against the Big Show and long-time rival John Cena. And after being injured at the hands of Alberto Del Rio, a determined Sheamus puts his World Heavyweight Championship on the line against the ruthless “Man of Destiny”. A violent whirling of storm clouds approaches the Staples Center for WWE SummerSlam!
– Other WWE releases in September included two more Superstar series, Kofi Kingston and Randy Orton. Both are available to download as separate matches or as a season on iTunes and Zune. Kofi’s bouts are with the likes of Jericho, Orton, and Ziggler. Orton’s matches are with Triple H, DiBiase, Cena, and Christian.
– WWE released the 45 minute Rock vs. Cena “Once In A Lifetime” documentary also, which is available digitally on Xbox Live. Elsewhere it will be out on October 9th to rent and buy.
– Some new titles have been added to Netflix including WWE: Falls Count Anywhere: The Greatest Street Fights and Other Out of Control Matches, and ECW Unreleased Volume 1, as well as two classic DVD’s in ECW Bloodsport and ECW Extreme Rules.
– Vudu has removed lots of WWE videos – from over 125 titles down to about 20, and then back up to about 50. This could be because of the big price drops seen on iTunes but it might due to other licensing issues. Some titles have been restored over the month but the majority are still missing.
– WWE’s new thriller, Barricade is now out to rent and buy through the usual digital platforms.
– The WWEGreatestMatches.com October preview reads “Tag Team bouts, more Editors Choice, and Batista.” Also they have added some new matches including:
- John Cena vs Sheamus for the WWE Championship
- Natalya vs Lay-Cool
- London & Kendrick vs MNM
- Intercontinental Battle Royal
- Eddie Guerrero vs Dean Malenko
- CM Punk vs Jeff Hardy
- Dusty Rhodes & Bam Bam Bigelow vs Ric Flair & Barry Windham
- Oz & Diamond Studd in WCW tag team action
- Ricky Steamboat vs Steve Austin
- Ricky Steamboat vs Cactus Jack
- Hollywood Blonds vs Ricky Steamboat & Nikita Koloff
- Cactus Jack vs Vader
- Willam Regal vs Barry Windham
- Dustin Rhodes vs Rick Rude
- Ricky Steamboat vs Vader
- Sting, Ric Flair & Steamboat vs Rick Rude & Nasty Boyz
- Tully Blanchard vs Barry Windham
- Konnan vs One Man Gang
- Sting & Steve Williams vs Varsity Club
- Eddie Guerrero vs Justin Liger
– In TNA news, TNAondemand.com has been updated with some new videos including Destination X 2012 as well as some new Weekly PPVs (weeks 14 to 18)
– WWNLive.com has added lots of “independent” videos including more promotions and shows such as Breaking Kayfabe, TimeLine, Guest Booker, and plenty of other content featuring the likes of Evolve, Shine, CZW, and DGUSA.
– Hulk Hogan’s classic 1993 movie, “Mr. Nanny” is out to buy and rent from October 2nd.