An exciting new release has been added to the 2022 WWE Home Video schedule…
WWE Summerslam ‘92 (30th Anniversary Edition)
– on Blu-ray and DVD!
This week, a few eagle-eyed WDN readers including Peter spotted some interesting product listings show up on German-based websites Amazon.de and bluray-disc.de:
So we did some digging… and today, WrestlingDVDNetwork.com and WWE Home Video UK can officially announce the go-ahead of a SummerSlam 1992 Blu-ray and DVD in the UK and Germany, commemorating the SummerSlam event held at Wembley Stadium 30 years ago.
There’s even cover artwork to prove it!
Please note: this cover artwork featuring Bret Hart and the British Bulldog will be the design on the finished product, however some elements of the artwork shown today are not 100% final – the BBFC rating of ’15’ and the Blu-ray/DVD’s total runtime are still to be confirmed.
We’ve been told the Summerslam ‘92 (30th Anniversary Edition) release will re-master the event for the first time on Blu-ray and DVD, featuring the full show and including the three ‘dark’ matches cut from the original broadcast, which aren’t a part of the current WWE Network showing.
Those might not be the only bonuses as early information suggests there will be “a host of extras from the time”, with hints of more content included that also potentially isn’t available on the Network.
Release dates have been scheduled – the UK gets it Monday August 29th, Germany later that same week on Friday September 2nd. This is a Fremantle exclusive offering so unfortunately the title won’t make it to the United States and Canada.
WWEDVD.co.uk has the Blu-ray and DVD available for pre-order right now.
Thirty years ago, WWE brought the biggest party of the summer to the UK! Now, thirty years later, relive the epic classic event, remastered for the first time on DVD!
Bret “Hit Man” Hart defends the Intercontinental Championship against the British Bulldog. Shawn Michaels faces Rick Martel, Legion of Doom battle Money Inc. in tag team action. Ultimate Warrior challenges “Macho Man” Randy Savage for the WWE Championship. The Natural Disasters defend the WWE Tag Team Championship and more.
- SummerSlam 1992 was taped on August 29th (as referenced on the cover artwork above) but didn’t actually air on PPV in the US (and UK on Sky) until August 31st.
- Fremantle will release the new Blu-ray/DVD exactly 30 years later to the day of the event itself: August 29th 1992 — August 29th 2022.
- During the same week of August 29th 2022, on the Saturday, WWE Clash at the Castle will be held at the Principality Stadium in Cardiff, Wales, the first large-scale WWE PPV event held in the UK since SummerSlam 1992.
- Three dark matches were taped at SummerSlam 1992 – two prior to the “PPV broadcast”: Jim Duggan & The Bushwackers vs. The Mountie & The Nasty Boys, and Tito Santana vs. Papa Shango. One match was taped before the main event: Tatanka vs. The Berzerker.
- All three dark matches aired on Prime Time Wrestling in the following weeks and all featured the original PPV broadcast team of Vince McMahon & Bobby Heenan.
- In the UK, the Crush vs. Repo Man match (on the main card) never aired, but was included in the US PPV.
- The British Bulldog’s gonna win – whether he wants to or not! 😉
The next WWE DVD release on the horizon for fans in the US and Canada is WrestleMania 38 on May 10th, less than 2 weeks away!
Let’s take a look at the complete cover artwork now finalized for ‘Mania, including the full sleeve artwork, the 3D pack view and the back cover too.
On WrestleMania Saturday, “Rowdy” Ronda Rousey looks to add more gold to her impressive accolades when she challenges SmackDown Women’s Champion Charlotte Flair. The returning Cody Rhodes steps up to the challenge and faces Seth Freakin’ Rollins. Bianca Belair looks to redeem her 26-second SummerSlam loss against RAW Women’s Champion Becky Lynch. for the first time in 19 years, “Stone Cold” Steve Austin returns to the ring to raise hell in a No Holds Barred Match against Kevin Owens.
On Wrestlemania Sunday, the biggest WrestleMania match in history takes place when Universal Champion Roman Reigns goes head-to-head with WWE champion Brock Lesnar in a Championship Unification Match. Sami Zayn takes on Jackass’s Johnny Knoxville in an Anything Goes Match. In a clash of generations, Edge faces off against AJ Styles. In Fatal 4-Way WWE Women’s Tag Team Championship Action, Queen Zelina and Carmella defend their Championship titles against Sasha Banks and Naomi, Rhea Ripley and Liv Morgan, and Shayna Baszler and Natalya.
IT’S THE MOST STUPENDOUS TWO-NIGHT WRESTLEMANIA IN HISTORY!
And don’t forget, fans in the UK and Europe will be treated to alternate artwork for WrestleMania 38 — the design features Stone Cold Steve Austin front and center!
Head to WWEDVD.co.uk, the only destination where you can get hold of this alternate artwork version for both the DVD or the Blu-ray.
Whether you are in the UK, Germany, the US, or Canada, whether you get the standard artwork or the alternate design, The Undertaker’s Hall of Fame induction speech will be included in its entirety as an extra on the ‘Mania DVD and Blu-ray:
Get your copy of the WWE WRESTLEMANIA 38 DVD or Blu-ray on…
– United States: May 10th. Pre-order ‘Mania 38 on DVD or Blu-ray here on Amazon.com.
– UK/Europe: May 30th. Pre-order the ‘Mania 38 DVD or Blu-ray now on Amazon.co.uk.